Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Tampa Divorce Attorney | Tampa Family Law Attorney

Tampa Family Law Attorney

Attorney Laura A. Olson handles a wide range of family law matters in South Tampa and throughout the greater Tampa area, including all aspects of divorce, child custody and relocation, post-judgment modifications, appeals, the enforcement of prenuptial agreements, and issues of paternity or domestic violence. Learn more below about the ways our Tampa family law attorney can help in these areas, and contact The Law Office of Laura A. Olson, P.A., if you have any questions or need any help with a Tampa divorce or other Florida family law matter.


Our divorce lawyer works to ensure that all issues relevant to your divorce are thoroughly investigated and carefully handled. These topics may include child custody, child support, alimony and property division. In all of these areas, family law judges have the discretion to rule in favor of one party or the other depending on how the judge is persuaded by the evidence and arguments put forward by the attorneys. At The Law Office of Laura A. Olson, P.A., we take the time to talk with you, explain your options and understand your needs. We put our decades of legal experience to work for you in ensuring that your rights are protected and your interests are met in all aspects of your Tampa divorce.

Our comprehensive divorce practice includes handling uncontested divorces, military divorces, collaborative divorces, and divorces between same-sex couples. We have experience in the unique or challenging issues presented by high net worth couples and high asset cases, and we are fully prepared to answer all questions or deal with all matters in your divorce, from issues of parental responsibility to questions of attorney’s fees and costs.

Post-Judgment and Appeals

A divorce judgment is meant to be final, but the trial judge’s decision is not always the last word, and a change in circumstances in the future may justify going back to court to modify court orders. Laura A. Olson is an experienced appellate lawyer who can handle an appeal of a divorce judgment or address other matters post-divorce such as modifications of final judgments, child relocation, or contempt and enforcement of Florida domestic relations court orders.

Successfully handling an appeal requires a different set of skills apart from what it takes to succeed at trial. Attorney Laura A. Olson uses her skills and experience in both trial and appellate law to identify appealable errors made at trial, prepare compelling petitions and briefs, and argue on her client’s behalf in the 2nd District Court of Appeal.

Orders regarding custody, support and other matters are court orders that cannot be changed without first going back to court and convincing the judge that a modification is justified. An experienced litigator, Laura A. Olson advocates for her clients who are seeking or opposing a post-judgment modification. She likewise represents clients in contempt or other enforcement proceedings when one party is alleged to be out of compliance with orders of the court.

Prenuptial Agreements

The popularity of prenuptial agreements is on the rise as more and more couples realize the advantages of going into a marriage with full disclosure of each partner’s assets and debts, and getting on the same page about how issues such as the division of property or the payment of support should be handled in a divorce. Unfortunately, not all premarital agreements are drafted as carefully as they should be. In the event of a divorce years later, parties may disagree over how the agreement is meant to be interpreted.

When parties argue over the meaning of the terms or whether the agreement itself is valid and enforceable, litigation is often required to resolve the dispute. Laura A. Olson represents parties in litigation who are seeking to enforce a prenuptial agreement, challenging the enforcement of the agreement, or arguing over how the prenup should be interpreted.


If parents were unmarried when a child was born, the child might not have a legal father in the eyes of Florida law. Whether parties are divorcing or were never married, paternity must be established to enforce the legal rights of a father to custody and visitation (parenting and time-sharing) and to enforce the legal rights of a child to child support. Sometimes, the law does recognize a legal father even when that person is not the child’s biological father. Here again, litigation would be required to establish or challenge parentage and parental rights and responsibilities. As an experienced courtroom litigator, Laura A. Olson capably represents parties seeking or challenging paternity determinations in Hillsborough County courts.

Domestic Violence

Spousal abuse, child abuse or other incidents of domestic violence sometimes lead a spouse to file for divorce. At other times, domestic violence may rear its ugly head for the very first time after a party files for divorce and the situation gets heated. In any event, it is vital to keep yourself and your children safe during a divorce and thereafter. Florida law offers protection in the form of an injunction for protection, also known as a restraining order or protective order. These injunctions can force an abuser out of the house and prohibit them from having any contact with you. Injunctions for protection can also make custody and support orders, decide who lives in the home, and other matters. A person who violates a protective order can be arrested and jailed.

The Law Office of Laura A. Olson, P.A., can help you obtain a temporary injunction for protection and also represent you at a courtroom hearing on a final order. We also represent people who have been unjustly targeted for an injunction to defend themselves and challenge the imposition of a permanent or final injunction.

Florida Family Law FAQs

If you are dealing with a family law legal issue, such as a divorce, paternity proceeding, or incidence of domestic violence, this may be your first contact with the Florida family law legal system. Even if you have been to court before and are now seeking a modification or enforcement of a court order, you likely still have questions about the process or your legal rights. The more you know in advance, the more confident you will be, and the better prepared you will be to deal with the issues you are facing.

Tampa family law attorney Laura A. Olson has been advising individuals and families on Florida family law matters for more than 25 years. Below are answers to some frequently asked questions about divorce and family law. If you have other questions or if you need immediate help with a divorce or other family law matter in South Tampa or the greater Tampa area, call The Law Office of Laura A. Olson, P.A., for a free initial consultation.

Q. Can I move to another part of Florida and take the kids with me if I have primary custody?

A. When you share custody of the children with your co-parent, regardless of whether you have custody most of the time or not, you need to consult with the other parent before moving very far. Under Florida law, any move that is 50 miles or more from the current residence and lasts for 60 days or more is considered a “relocation.” Before you move, you should consult with the other parent and create a written relocation agreement that establishes any necessary changes to the child custody arrangement, including the time-sharing schedule and how transportation for visitation and custody exchanges will be handled. If you can’t agree with your co-parent or don’t wish to engage with them, you’ll need to go court and file a petition before you can relocate. If the other parent doesn’t respond to the petition, the court might grant your request to move. If the other parent does respond, the court will hold a hearing at which both parties can argue their case. You’ll need to prove the move is in your children’s best interests, and the judge will consider a number of different factors in making a decision.

If you move without the court’s petition, you could wind up losing custody or having custody altered in the other parent’s favor. You could also be found in contempt of court, forced to pay fines and even be jailed. So, if you are planning a significant move, talk to the other parent first, or call attorney Laura A. Olson to discuss your options and the best strategy for a successful relocation.

Q. Do I have to go to court if my divorce is uncontested?

A. An uncontested divorce is mostly handled outside of court, so you normally won’t have to show up for a hearing or trial. However, you will be required to make an appearance when the judge finalizes your divorce. The judge will look over your paperwork and maybe ask you a few questions about the information you provided before making the divorce final. Laura A. Olson can assist you in preparing all necessary documents and also preparing you for your court appearance. The judge does not thoroughly examine all the paperwork or give you legal advice, so it’s important to have an experienced Tampa divorce lawyer assist you and make sure the divorce decree addresses your needs.

Q. How long do child support orders last?

A. An order for child support will typically terminate when the child turns 18, but if the child is still in high school, the court may order support to continue until graduation. Also, if the child has a disability that requires additional in-home care, the order for support may be extended indefinitely.

Q. Do I have to keep paying alimony if my ex moves in with a new partner?

A. There are four main types of alimony in Florida, and the rules for modifying or terminating alimony differ depending on which type of alimony was ordered. For instance, bridge-the-gap alimony can’t be modified, and neither can the length of time of a durational alimony award. In general, alimony will terminate if the receiving party remarries. If the receiving party starts living with a new partner without marrying, you might be able to get alimony terminated. However, you would need to go court, and the receiving party might argue they are still entitled to the alimony. The court could look at issues such as whether the new partners are supporting one another and how they are living. You’ll need to convince the judge of your position with factual evidence and legal arguments. Laura A. Olson is an experienced family law litigator who can represent your interests in court in this scenario.

Immediate Assistance with Tampa Divorce & Family Law

For help with a Tampa divorce, prenuptial agreement, paternity proceeding, domestic violence or other Florida family law matter, call The Law Office of Laura A. Olson at 813-222-0888. Our Tampa family law attorney offers a free, 30-minute telephone consultation and maintain flexible appointment schedules to meet with you when it is most convenient for you.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn
Free Case Evaluation
protected by reCAPTCHA Privacy - Terms